The Best Restaurants in Columbus, Ohio

The Best Restaurants in ColumbusWe have all been asked the same question and faced the same dilemma: “What do you want for dinner tonight?” And, it is just as likely as our answers have mirrored those of a million more: “I do not know. What do you want?” And so, the back and forth begins. But what if you are craving delicious, flavorful fried chicken? Or a sure-enough Gulf of Mexico southern seafood? Maybe you are just hoping for a great beer to go with a hand-pressed burger? Any idea where you would find that? Here are a few of the best of the best restaurants in Columbus. If they are already on your favorites list, keep reading – you just might find a new favorite, too.

First things first – where are you going to find that amazing fried chicken? We encourage you to visit Hot Chicken Takeover. Sure, the chicken is amazing – a light, crispy crunch that is not overdone, thereby ensuring a delicious flavorful bite, but it is the sides that are inspiring. Southern slaw – that sure-enough-tart-but-sweet-but-tasty coleslaw that one must “master.” He might learn how to make it, but until he masters it? Well, it is just slaw. And the mac and cheese – it is heavenly. A light pasta with a golden cheese sauce that comes to rest on and under and between – it is perfection. This is what a southern grandma would call “jest ‘bout right.”

And speaking of the south – what is better than a fresh, lightly breaded Florida-fresh grouper done in a way that would make New Orleans proud? A great beer, that is what! You’ll find it all – and much more – at Black Point Prime Steakhouse and Seafood restaurant. The chefs are all about a delectable and carefully prepared sauces and seasonings for the seafood. It requires subtlety – and Black Point has it.

Another favorite with the locals is Standard Hall. This casual eatery invites you to come as you are and bring your buddies, too. Whether it’s a weekend brunch (served between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on the weekends) or you are hungry for something filling, you are going to find one of the most versatile menus anywhere in Columbus. You’ll enjoy Happy Hour and don’t forget the favorite $5 Burger Night – it’s a crowd pleaser for sure. Make no mistake – it is all homemade, just like Mom used to serve. And, too, just like Mom, these chefs know that the freshest ingredients make the tastiest dishes. From the Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich to the fantastic assortment of fresh toppings for the homemade pizza, complete with hand stretched dough, you are going to find yourself coming back for more.

Columbus is home to some amazing chefs who create perfection on a plate day after day. Come and see for yourself the kind of pride that drives the restaurants and eateries in the city of Columbus, OH. If you are already a local, take a leap of faith and try something new – you are not going to be disappointed.

Options For Laid Off H-1B Visa Holders

bigstock-Immigration-Rally-in-Washingto-7293710As of May 2010, the unemployment rate in the United States is close to 10%, representing at least 15.3 million people out of work. Cities such as Troy, Michigan and Columbus, Ohio continue to struggle. Indeed the economy is improving but unemployment rate is expected to hold steady and with tougher H-1B review by USCIS and higher rates of H-1B denials, it is expected that more H-1B holders will lose their jobs in the next few months. While U.S. Citizens and permanent residents can collect unemployment benefits as they search for a new job, H-1B visa holders do not have that option. In fact, for H-1B visa holders, losing their job means losing their status.

There is a fair amount of confusion concerning whether there is a “grace period” after an H-1B visa holder’s employment is terminated. Rumors abound that the 60 day grace period applicable to F-1 student status applies to H-1B status. Moreover, many interpret CFR 214.2(h)(13)(i)(A) as providing for a grace period after the validity period of the H-1B ends. Technically speaking, an H-1B visa holder is out of status once their H-1B has been revoked or expires. The 10 day period provided for in CFR 214.2(h)(13)(i)(A), however, is intended to provide the foreign national time to wrap up their affairs and leave the United States. It is not, unfortunately, meant to provide the foreign national time to find and port to a new H-1B position. What, then, are the options for H-1B visa holders who have been laid off?

Despite the lack of a formal grace period, one option may be for an H-1B visa holder to port to another H-1B employer. Depending upon the amount of notice the employer has provided, the H-1B visa holder may be able to secure a new H-1B position before their termination is effective. For example, if the H-1B employer gave the H-1B visa holder two months notice before their termination became effective, the H-1B visa holder may be able to find and port to a new H-1B position before their H-1B is revoked. Under the American Competitiveness in the Twenty First Century Act, the H-1B employee can begin working with their new H-1B employer as soon as the new employer files a portability petition with the United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS). Thus, it may be possible for the foreign national to port to the new H-1B position before their original employer revokes their H-1B status.

If the H-1B employer has not provided sufficient notice or porting is not an immediate possibility, another option is for the foreign national to change status. A change of status, though, is highly dependent upon each individual H-1B visa holder’s situation. For instance, an H-1B visa holder may be able to change their status to F-1 student status. This may be difficult, though, considering the H-1B visa holder must be accepted and begin classes within a short period of time. Another option may be a temporary change of status to a B1/B2 visa or to a dependent status such as H-4 or L-2, again depending upon the foreign national’s specific circumstances. Additionally, if an H-1B visa holder has commenced the permanent resident process, they may be eligible to work in a substantially similar position on an EAD card.

An H-1B visa holder that is being laid off should immediately consult with an experienced immigration attorney about their individual situation. The H-1B employee should thoroughly understand their options for remaining and working in the United States after the lay off. And it is important to remember that time is of the essence, because for an H-1B visa holder losing their job means losing their status.

, ,

Work Visa Options For Canadian Professionals: L Visas

bigstock-Immigration-3151682For Canadian professionals who qualify, the L visa combines the faster processing of the TN visa with the path to permanent residency provided by the H-1B. As with the TN visa, a Canadian professional can apply for an L visa at a U.S. port of entry. This makes the application process faster than applying for other nonimmigrant employment classifications, such as the H-1B, that must be processed through a USCIS Service Center, especially with the help of an L-1 visa lawyer. Moreover, Canadian professionals working in a managerial or executive capacity do not usually need a labor certification to begin the green card process, which can also significantly expedite the permanent resident process. These benefits make the L visa an attractive option for Canadian professionals, especially those seeking permanent residence in the United States.

The L visa is available for intracompany transferees in either specialized knowledge positions or executive or managerial positions, according to our L-1A visa lawyers. The intracompany transferee must have worked abroad with a parent, affiliate, subsidiary, or branch of the U.S. employer for one continuous year out of the preceding three years. Interestingly, time spent by the Canadian professional in the United States in lawful status for business or pleasure will not interrupt the continuity of employment abroad; however, such periods will not be counted towards the accrual of one year employment abroad. To qualify as a specialized knowledge individual, the Canadian professional must have special knowledge or expertise regarding their employer’s product, service, research, equipment, techniques, management, processes or procedures. A specialized knowledge employee is eligible to hold L status for a maximum of 5 years.

A Canadian intracompany transferee may also work in a managerial or executive capacity. Though it may seem obvious, the primary criteria for a managerial position is that the employee manage the company or a part of the company. The employee’s duties should involve supervising the work of other professional or managerial employees and/or managing an essential function or operation within the company. It is important to note that a first line supervisor does not typically qualify as a manager for L purposes.

A Canadian professional that is seeking L status as an executive must establish their proposed U.S. position is one of executive capacity. An executive is an employee who directs the management of the company or a subsection of the company. This differs from a manager in that an executive sets the overarching goals and policies of the company or a subsection, whereas a manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the company. An employee in an executive capacity should have wide spread discretion in decision-making and receive very little supervision. A Canadian professional in a managerial or executive capacity is eligible for L status for a maximum of 7 years. Any time a Canadian professional has previously spent in H-1B status, without leaving the U.S. for a minimum of one year, will be counted against the time the Canadian professional is eligible for L status.

For Canadian professionals considering an L visa, it is advisable to speak with a knowledgeable L-1A visa attorney. Qualified immigration counsel can help any Canadian professional answer difficult questions, such as whether they are a specialized knowledge or executive/managerial employee, whether their employer abroad has the requisite relationship with the U.S. employer and whether they have accrued enough time working abroad. The L classification is a great work visa option for those Canadian professionals who qualify, but the eligibility criteria can be complex and a Canadian professional should always be sure they meet the qualifications before applying.


Labor Certification Attorney On Experience Acquired With The Same Employer

bigstock-Citizenship-documents-43205116The PERM process exists to test the U.S. labor market for qualified U.S. workers that could fill a permanent position prospectively being offered to a foreign national. The purpose of PERM labor certification is to establish that the foreign national employee is the only individual with the necessary combination of education and experience for the position who is willing and able to accept the job opening within the employment geographic area. For more information visait PERM FAQ’s on our website.

If the foreign national employee gained all or part of their experience in a position with the sponsoring employer, it is arguable that a U.S. worker could have gained that same experience with the employer. To address this issue, the PERM regulations require that any experience gained by the foreign national employee with the petitioning employer be gained in a position that is “not substantially comparable to the position for which certification is being sought.” This includes any positions the foreign national has held as a contract employee with the sponsoring employer.

The PERM regulations define substantially comparable as “a job or position requiring performance of the same job duties more than 50 percent of the time.” Despite this definition, it can be difficult for employers to determine what constitutes a substantially comparable position. Employers should examine the core skills and responsibilities of the positions, as well as the job duties. One method for assessing whether two positions are substantially comparable is to compile a list of the job duties for each position, including the amount of time the foreign national spends on each duty. If the job duties and time dedicated to each largely overlap, it is likely that the two positions are substantially comparable. It is highly recommended that sponsoring employers consult with experienced immigration counsel regarding whether two positions are substantially comparable to avoid irreparable issues at the I-140 stage.

Employers should also consider whether the experience was gained with the same employer. Experience gained with a foreign parent, affiliate or subsidiary entity is usually not the same employer. By definition, the same employer is one with the same Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). Any experience the foreign national employee has gained with a related entity, inside or outside of the U.S., can be used for PERM purposes so long as the sponsoring employer has a different FEIN.

If the labor certification does require experience the foreign national gained in a position with the sponsoring employer, it is important that differences in the positions be sufficiently documented. This can be accomplished through position descriptions, a record of the percentage of time spent on the various duties, organization charts, and payroll records. Requiring experience the foreign national gained with the sponsoring employer can be detrimental to a case if the experience was not gained in a position that was substantially different, and it is incumbent upon the employer to prove as much. Thus, it is in the employer’s best interest to have as much evidence to substantiate their position as possible.