Table of Contents
Outstanding Professors and Researchers (Eb-1 Immigrants)
EB-1 immigrant visas are available to those who are classified as “Outstanding Professors and Researchers.” By its name, it might seem that this category is only accessible to those working in educational institutions. However, the category is also available to researchers in private institutions.
This category imposes requirements upon both the sponsoring employer as well as the immigrating employee.
This category requires an employer/sponsor. The intending immigrant cannot self-sponsor. A private employer must be able to document accomplishments in the field of research as well as that it employs at least three full-time researchers.
An EB-1 must have at least three years of teaching or research experience in their field. They must also be able to establish their recognition in their field by documenting that they meet at least two (2) of the following criteria:
- Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement;
- Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement;
- Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the academic field;
- Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field;
- Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field; and/or
- Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field.
These requirements need not be met in the context of the Professor or Researcher’s current employment with the sponsoring employer. Rather, the above-requested documentation can span their career, including with prior employers.
The experienced immigration attorneys of Sam Shihab & Associates can help you to craft an application that will allow immigration officials to understand your unique area of expertise and the significance of your accomplishments in your field.
Supporting Outstanding Professors and Researchers in Columbus, Ohio And Beyond
The skilled immigration attorneys at Sam Shihab & Associates consistently provide foreign national professors, researchers, and their employers, with a wide range of legal services regarding immigration issues. Our offices are located in Dublin and Columbus (Ohio) and in Troy (Michigan), but we have clients all over the world, so your location will never prevent you from getting the legal help that you need.
Feel free to contact our expert immigration attorneys at Sam Shihab & Associates, either by phone or email to discuss your specific visa needs.
Click here to read more about Outstanding Professors and Researchers visas.